Rosters are an important part of our club
Volunteer participation may take a variety of forms including coaching, managing, site officiating, equipment set up and pack away, assistance in the canteen or participation on our committee.
We ask that volunteers arrive on time to commence their roster as late arrivals cause delays to our competition days.
The club reserves their right to exclude an athlete from competition and/or training if their parent does not participate or fails to fulfill their roster. Results of the child on the day will not be recorded if the parent fails to show up to their roster. This will also impact the ability of the child to be eligible for centre championship day, state events and end of season medals.
How the Roster works
The roster system is constantly reviewed and for the 2023/24 season we have introduced some changes with the system. As with prior years, there are various fortnightly roles that work on a Week 1 and Week 2 system. There is also a newly introduced weekly volunteer cohort role .
The volunteer cohort is designed to keep parents more involved with their kids on competition day. So rather than fortnightly if you wish you don’t have to be on one site for the whole morning, you can move with your child. The volunteer cohort will need to help at each event by organising the kids, measure their jumps/ throws and record their results. Each week the age group coordinator will sort out in the group which parents are helping the group. It is the aim that you will only need to help every second week but leaves flexibility for swap within the group between parents.
For site and other volunteers, the roles are carefully planned so that we have the right amount of parents to function efficiently and effectively with such a large number of athletes.
Only one parent/guardian from each family needs to nominate for a roster duty. You pick a duty on registration and the centre emails out the full duty roster prior to the start of the season.
What if I can’t do my roster?
It is preferred that you either swap with someone on another week’s roster or send another family member along.
If you have exceptional circumstances please email the centre email firstname.lastname@example.org with PARENT ROSTER in the subject line. We maintain the roster from one point which is through the club email address.
We also have a group of ex-athletes that are available to do roster duty for a small fee. This is circulated at the start of the season
What if I am new and don’t know what to do?
Please do not be too concerned if you know little about athletics. Others will be in the same position. We have senior site officials and instructions to guide you through your task. Coaches and other, more experienced parents are always on hand to provide assistance. The first 2 weeks of the season we have officials and committee members helping whilst new families learn the ropes.
Roster Important Key points
- All parents are expected to do a fortnightly roster except for special rosters which are identified as weekly as they are either shorter in duration or a specialised area.
- Rosters are for a period of approximately 3 hours per fortnight the only exceptions being set up/pack up/equipment managers at training
- Set up starts at 6.15am / Pack up starts at 11am
- If your site finishes early please report to the Arena Manager as other sites may need help
- All parents must sign on and off in the orange folders at the information desk.
- We begin our first weekend with parent roster 1. Parents on set up please be at McGillivray at 6.15am sharp. All other parents should report directly to their site at 7.50am after signing.
- Please make sure you sign in for your roster in the orange roster files located at the information tent/stand and tent on the way to your site and on completion of your roster for the day.
Roster Rules for sites and recording
Here are some important points for working on a site or recording on our results sheets.
- Please mark out the record.
- Please write names and numbers neatly & legibly.
- If an athlete is absent on the day please write DNS on the sheet.
- If an athlete competes, but does not recorded a legal jump or throw please a X.
- In the jumps and throws please complete the BEST column.
- Please let the athlete know if a PB is recorded.
- Please note any spelling errors in the names.
- If a record is broken or appears to have been set immediately advise the site official who will contact the Arena Manager who will attend to verify.
- Make sure that markers/mats/bars are not touched if a record appears to have been set.
At the end of your roster please pack up all tents, nets and bunting. Place all the equipment back in the box provided and make sure your red or green site file goes in the Site File box on the information desk.